A potentially habitable planet about the size of Earth is orbiting the star that is nearest our solar system, according to scientists who describe the find Wednesday in the journal Nature.The newly discovered planet orbits Proxima Centauri, a red dwarf star that's just 4.25 light-years from Earth — about 25 trillion miles away. The star is too faint to be seen with the naked eye and is close to a much brighter and more famous pair of stars called Alpha Centauri A and B.Researchers detected...
The Latest from the KRCC Newsroom
- The State Takes Aim at Family Practice, where Rural Areas Feel the Pinch
- Colorado Springs Fire Department Seeks New Firefighters
- 'America's Ultimate Challenge': The Pikes Peak Marathon and Ascent Descend on Manitou Springs
- How Can Poverty Impact Healthcare? Med Students Get a Glimpse
- With Rain Barrels Now Legal, Conservationists Eye Them and Other Water Stretching Strategies