Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Lawmakers to Consider Physician-Assisted Suicide
- Wish We Were Here, Episode 3: The Beginning of the End of Homelessness?
- NORAD's Santa Tracker Began With A Typo And A Good Sport
- The Middle Distance, 12.12.14: The Dark That We Must Blind
- Top Ten 2014: Delaney Utterback (GM/Digital/Oscillation Propagation)
Series: Railroad West
Amtrak's Southwest Chief runs from Chicago to Los Angeles, passing through towns in Southern Colorado and Northern New Mexico. The future of the route is in question, as the current rail lines require upgrades in order to maintain passenger rail speeds. A partnership is on the table to share expenses for the upgrades; as proposed, Colorado’s portion would be about $40 million over the course of ten years.
The alternative is that Amtrak would likely reroute the service, bypassing Western Kansas, Colorado and Northern New Mexico entirely.
Coverage continues after KRCC News interns Martha Perez-Sanz and Maggie Spencer opened the series by looking into the Southwest Chief as part of their journalism curriculum at Colorado College.