Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- The Middle Distance 10.17.14: How The Gilmore Girls Saved My Life
- The Middle Distance 10.10.14: The Secret of Great Stories
- Pending Loss of Levee Mural Means an Eventual Blank Canvas
- Embracing the Dark: Radiolab's Jad Abumrad on the Creative Process
- No Matter How Colorado Votes, GMO Labeling Debate Far From Finished
Series: Railroad West
Amtrak's Southwest Chief runs from Chicago to Los Angeles, passing through towns in Southern Colorado and Northern New Mexico. The future of the route is in question, as the current rail lines require upgrades in order to maintain passenger rail speeds. A partnership is on the table to share expenses for the upgrades; as proposed, Colorado’s portion would be about $40 million over the course of ten years.
The alternative is that Amtrak would likely reroute the service, bypassing Western Kansas, Colorado and Northern New Mexico entirely.
Coverage continues after KRCC News interns Martha Perez-Sanz and Maggie Spencer opened the series by looking into the Southwest Chief as part of their journalism curriculum at Colorado College.