Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Rejected As A Mars One Astronaut Candidate, She's Turning To Plan B (Or M)
- The Big Something Radio Progamme, Episode 1: Drop City, Sylvia Nasar, and Senga Nengudi
- Wish We Were Here, Episode 4: Growing Up With Gay Parents in Colorado Springs
- Colorado Faces New Challenges to Pot Legalization
- NASA Sees 'Bright Spots' On Dwarf Planet In Our Solar System
Series: Railroad West
Amtrak's Southwest Chief runs from Chicago to Los Angeles, passing through towns in Southern Colorado and Northern New Mexico. The future of the route is in question, as the current rail lines require upgrades in order to maintain passenger rail speeds. A partnership is on the table to share expenses for the upgrades; as proposed, Colorado’s portion would be about $40 million over the course of ten years.
The alternative is that Amtrak would likely reroute the service, bypassing Western Kansas, Colorado and Northern New Mexico entirely.
Coverage continues after KRCC News interns Martha Perez-Sanz and Maggie Spencer opened the series by looking into the Southwest Chief as part of their journalism curriculum at Colorado College.